A few years ago,
In preparing to connect with each church, we all spent hours really analyzing the churches’ sample communications pieces, social media channels and church websites. A few churches in, I started to notice this trend:
Nearly every church had a “What We Believe” section of its website. Most of them are full of statements only other Christians — usually Christians from the same denomination — would understand or even care about.
This seems like a miss to me.
- Are we writing that section in defense of our particular denominational viewpoints?
- Are we writing that section for people who already attend other churches and might want to come to ours instead?
- Are we writing that section just for people of our denomination who might be moving to town from another city?
- Do we even know who we’re writing it for?
Because we’re sure not writing it for people who don’t know Jesus.
Pretty much anyone who is considering visiting your church — even people who get a personal invite — are going to check you out online first. Take a moment this week to review that section of your church website:
- How might you write it differently if you assumed the person reading it doesn’t already follow Jesus?
- How might you approach it differently if you assumed the person reading has an indifferent or negative impression of the authority of Scripture?
- How might you write it differently if you assumed the person reading it knows who Jesus is but has had bad experiences with church and religion?
- How might you design it differently if you assumed people checking you out will only give you a few minutes of their time before they make a decision?
You can still include the information church-people want to see, though I challenge you to re-evaluate even that. At best, maybe that should just be a PDF people can download if they want more info (especially if it’s lengthy and uses denominational jargon).
Let’s be honest: Most people who visit your church website think they know what you believe.
How might you re-introduce them to the faith in a way that draws them in?